November 02, 2018 2 min read
Ah, autumn. With its crisp air and blazing foliage comes a time for getting back into the swing of things after a long, lazy summer. And there’s no better place to make a seasonal statement than the first area guests see when they arrive: your front porch. But if plastic pumpkins and stale candy corn are what come to mind when you think of fall decorating, don’t fret. Furniture Fair has you covered with updated ways to welcome friends and family with simple touches of autumnal elegance.
1. Coz-ify your space. Nothing is more inviting in colder months than providing your guests with a sense of warmth. Putting your porch to year-round use is easier than ever with a Fire Pit Table, the perfect focal point for chilly evening gatherings with weather-resistant construction that stands up to all the elements.
3. Set a seasonal mood with enchanting lighting. Is there anything more inviting than flickering flames casting dancing shadows on your walls at night? For gentle illumination with a timeless feel, add a few candles at various heights around your front door. Choose eye-catching accessories with sturdy construction that holds up to the outside elements.
4. Do up the fall foliage. Decorative plants are an easy and high-impact way to signal seasonal transitions. And with the highly realistic silks available today, displaying and maintaining beautiful fall foliage has never been easier. For a more contemporary take on the autumnal look, choose unexpected varieties in fall tones. To really switch things up, use larger pieces to partition your space.
5. Be a basket case. Perhaps the easiest way to spirit-up your home is to grab a few baskets and fill them with hay or fall leaves, string lights, assorted mini pumpkins and whatever else your heart desires until they’re spilling over with fall goodness. Place them randomly around your front steps or on a chair, or use one as a centerpiece on your outdoor table. For a modern twist, skip the traditional bushel baskets and opt for a more unique design, like a Wooden Basket Set with woven metal elements.
6. Say “fall” with flowers. Cut flowers make any room feel sweeter and more thoughtful—and they can do the same for your front porch. Start with a sturdy container like a versatile Accordion Metal Organizer from Magnolia Home, which is narrow enough to be perched atop your porch railing, has a round handle for hanging, and can even serve as a sleek side table in a small space. Then, create your own masterpiece with any combination of seasonal blooms like dahlias, sunflowers, goldenrods, blood flowers and greens in contrasting colors. Behold, the ultimate “welcome home!”